Monday, October 7, 2013

Summer, fall and epic fail

I found some yummy apple butter on sale this weekend. 

I also found some ripe, juicy strawberries on sale.  Strange to have such great berries in October.

So lunch is a mixture of fall and summer flavors today.

Apple Butter and Sunbutter sushi rolls
Pieces of Graham Cracker
Carrot sticks and mini cucumber discs
Strawberry hearts with grapes on ghost and pumpkin picks
Mango smoothie

The mango smoothie was an epic failure!!  I mixed frozen mango, coconut water and rice milk in the blender and filled some small containers.  I put them in the freezer overnight and the intention was that they would be like smoothie or sorbet consistency at lunch time.  It didn't work out that way!  The kids said they opened the container and it was completely liquid and spilled all over themselves, the table and the chair.  Neither one of them even got a taste of it!  :(  
 
I have no idea why it didn't work out.  I have read other blogs about how they freeze yogurt and smoothies and it is perfect when they open it at lunch time.  Maybe our school is hotter than others and I need to invest in some really good ice packs.  The kids have never complained about their food being warm, even when I've asked.  Maybe it was the rice milk instead of dairy.  Maybe my proportions were off.  I don't know.  I really loved that idea too. :(
 
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Sorry the smoothies didn't work out - hope you can figure it out!

    ReplyDelete