Saturday, January 18, 2014

Happy Tu Bishvat!

Tu Bishvat is a Jewish celebration of trees and is used for the purpose of calculating the age of trees for tithing.  The Torah states that fruit from trees may not be eating during the first three years; the forth year's fruit is for God and after that you may eat it.

Traditionally children will collect money and send it to plant trees in Israel.  Or maybe they will plant trees in their own community.  Another custom is to eat olives and fruit, including "new" fruit.

For a "new" to us fruit I found some mini organic apples and dried mango.

Mini organic apples and dried mango; grape tomatoes, carrots and snow peas; PB&J tree shaped sandwiches, Tu Bishvat in fruit leather; Wheat Thins

I also made lunch for my husband that day!  I think this is the second time he's let me make his lunch.  I was telling him what I was making the kids and he thought it sounded good so I offered to make his too.  In my new EasyLunchboxes!
Mini organic apples; salad dressing; salad with orange pepper chunks, tree shaped cucumbers, grape tomatoes, olives, feta cheese, turkey roll ups, Tu Bishvat written in carrot pieces

He said it was delicious and it was a good amount of food!  I was worried that it wouldn't be enough so I tossed a couple hard boiled eggs in his lunch bag too. :)  

Thanks for reading!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment