Saturday, January 18, 2014

Flower Garden

I found this great mini pie maker on sale at my grocery store:


I decided to make some savory pies for lunch one day when we had a ton of leftover BBQ beef.  I also had some leftover pie crust that I had made for Thanksgiving but only used half the recipe because I decided to make a crumble topping instead of crust.  It had kept very well in the freezer and just had to thaw and was perfect for this!

First you use the bottom to cut out circles from pie crust.


Then you place the round dough into the open pie maker.  I put in about 3/4 teaspoon of filling and then laid a second dough round on top.


Then you push the lid side of the pie maker down very hard.  Open up and there you are!  Mini pies!

I placed them on a cookie sheet and baked at 350 for a total of about 25-30 minutes.  I started at 18 minutes and keep having to add 2 minutes at a time because they weren't browning.  I'm not sure if it was the altitude, the temperature, or the ingredients.  I will have to fiddle with it.

Anyway,  I then assembled what I thought to be a very cute flower garden lunch:
BBQ beef pies, radish flowers, carrot and cucumber stems, cabbage grass
Orange wedges
Pretzel crisps

Maya said it was good but it didn't look like that when she opened it at school.  Everything had fallen to one side.  This is especially a bummer for the other kids that I make lunches for because they don't see it before I pack it up and send it to school.

So here is my question to all you bloggers: How do you get your lunches to stay put until lunch time?

Thanks for reading!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment